Brief history of Exmouth Hospital

Exmouth Hospital the Grand Opening 1903

Exmouth’s first hospital, The Maud Hospital, was founded in 1885 at 5 Clarence Road by local benefactor Mrs Charlotte Hume Long, who was also the Matron, and ran it with the help of Dr G Willoughby. The facilities were much used but totally inadequate, so in 1886 Mrs Hume Long bought Belmont House at the top of Bicton Street and converted it into a nine bedded hospital.

Following the death of Mrs Hume Long in 1899, The Maud Hospital was handed over to a committee to manage for the benefit of the town. In 1902, this hospital was found to be inadequate for the needs of the town and following a public appeal the current hospital site was identified.

On Wednesday September 3rd, 1902, Lady Gertrude Rolle laid the foundation stone of the new 14 bed hospital at a cost of £4,400. The new hospital was renamed Exmouth Cottage Hospital and was opened by Lady Gertrude Rolle on Saturday June 27th, 1903.

In 1925 there was a need to expand the hospital, the building was remodelled and provided a new operating theatre, children’s ward, X-ray room, surgery, and private wards. In 1928, a gigantic bazaar raised £3,800 for further alterations, which provided a major extension in 1930. In May1932 Lord Exmouth opened the renamed Exmouth Hospital.

Since the early days of Exmouth Hospital there have been many developments and improvements to provide a wide range of NHS services and equipment for the residents of Exmouth and the wider community.

Foundation Stone

Our Hospital Today